Thursday, March 21, 2013

Judgement Day '04: René Duprée vs John Cena

Judgment day for Dupree 
TIM BAINES 
Ottawa Sun 
MAY 2004

Rene Dupree has been dreaming about being a wrestling star for as long as he can remember. At age five or six, he went for ice cream with Harley Race. He played soccer on a field with Japanese star Masahiro Chono.


Following in his father Emile's footsteps, the younger Dupree, whose real name is Rene Goguen, stepped into the ring for the first time at the age of 14.


And it's been full steam ahead ever since.


Now just 20, Dupree will face John Cena for the U.S. championship at tonight's WWE Judgment Day pay-per-view.


What a ride it's already been!

"I dreamed about getting here, but I never thought it would happen," said Dupree on the phone the other day. "I grew up in a wrestling family and I knew I wanted to be in it. I started working out with weights when I was 11. At 14, I was already 200 lbs.
"I begged my father to give me an opportunity to try it."
Try it, he did. And like it, he did.
Problem is the fans don't like him too much. In fact, they love to hate him.
"Even when I was trying to be a fan favourite, people booed me," said Dupree with a laugh. "It works for me. If my job is to get people to hate me, I'm doing a pretty good job of it."
Dupree says he was a bit overwhelmed at first, looking around and seeing major stars everywhere.
"It was nerve wracking ... weird at first," he said. "But after a while, you get comfortable. They're just human beings too."
He says his favourite programs so far have been against Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock.
But facing Cena tonight will be another big notch in his belt.
"It's my biggest match to date," he said. "I don't think the fans will be disappointed.
Dupree says he does little outside of the ring except lift weights and watch old wrestling tapes -- keeping an eye on legends such as Rick "The Model" Martel, Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig and Shawn Michaels.
And what may come off as an aloof personality is Dupree just being his normal, quiet self. None of this haughty La Resistance persona.
"I'm really shy when it comes to normal life," said Dupree. "I'm not very outspoken. There's a mistaken conception that I've got a big ego, but I'm just quiet. It's not because I'm arrogant or cocky ... it's just the way I am."
He's just letting his actions speak for him. And so far they've been speaking pretty loudly.




Judgment Day; U.S. Title Match May 16, 2004
John Cena vs. Rene Dupree



Cena starts off on the offensive, and gets Dupree to the outside. Cena hits Dupree with some hard right hands, followed by an impactful headbutt. However, Dupree, out of desperation, pulls Cena across into the post. He's got the crowd against him, and for the first time of the night, the crowd seems to care about the match.








Dupree brings Cena into the room and his Cena with some more offense.


Dupree goes for an Irish whip, but gets flipped to the apron. However, as Cena goes to hit Dupree, he gets tossed to the outside.

Dupree continues on the offensive, and puts Cena in a forceful bearhug-like hold.









Cena hits Dupree with a headbutt, but Dupree quickly gets back in control and forces Cena into the corner. Dupree gets back into that bearhug hold and also begins hitting Cena in the back. Cena begins punching his way out.

Cena gets out of the hold, and starts connecting with some right hands. He clotheslines Dupree a few times, and gets the crowd really hot. After an Irish whip, he then hits a sidewalk slam. However, as he goes for a five-knuckle-shuffle, he misses, and Dupree gets back in control.

Dupree dances and tries to do his own version of the shuffle, but Cena gets out of the way. Cena goes upstairs, but Dupree counters quickly and hits John with a DDT.

Cena gets Rene in an F-U position, but it gets turned into a Dupree neckbreaker. Two-count.
"Cena gets a backslide on Dupree, only good enough for a two-count. Dupree goes off the ropes, and Cena catches him for an F-U. Cena wins. 

REVIEWS 

 John Cena defended his United States Championship here against Rene Dupree.
New talent were getting a chance. Rene was the next in line to see how well he performed on a major stage. At Judgment Day, both men did just fine. Cena retained his title, but Rene had a nice showing. 

Rene Dupree has really upped his game a notch or two since he moved to Smackdown from Raw last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment